The cold porcelain woke him a bit. He was unsure as to why he was in the bathroom. Blinking at the glare from the moon, he noticed the light had not been turned on.
Darkness had always frightened him and he had never been one to do something without thought. His ragged breath was a sure sign of how his current settings and lack of memory was effecting him. He started to take his settings in one by one in this tiny room he used often enough to know blindfolded. He scanned the room unsure of what he was experiencing.
The dark corners pulled at his mind to leave his body and join them in the dark folds.
An unsettling quite fell on him as he sat there wondering what to do next. Reaching down to pull up his boxers that rested around his ankles he looked forward to the large window over his bathtub. He froze as he saw the two crimson eyes stare back at him from the black void that now covered the light of the moon.
His breath hitched almost afraid of making any noise. Regardless that he had been breathing this whole time and the sudden stop of sound would be an absence to be noted. He could see the eyes moving almost hovering. They would have to be flying somehow since his bathroom was on the second story of the house.
His insides turned to ice as the slimy voice echoed in the room, “Don’t forget to wash your hands.”
I can’t seem to get away from making it goofy. That’s okay because right now I am enjoying playing with the descriptions and knowing what is too much and how I can tweak it and such.
As the wind swept down the hall she could feel the cold soaked in darkness reach into her bones. She looked down the ripped and torn hallway, unsure of her choices made only moments before in the warmth of her friends and cheep booze. She held her phone in front of her as more of a shield. She took a small step forward praying that her knees and ankles keep her standing.
A sudden sound behind her caused her to turn around quickly camera and light flashing to the doors she had entered in, one of them was slightly ajar.
“Mike, you there? Cindy?…” She listened almost shaking with worry for any sound.
Your not alone. Her mind was racing as quickly as her heartbeat. Your not alone. The voice in her head was getting louder. Your not alone. This voice is not even her own, she realized suddenly.
“It’s YOU’RE asshole!!”
So that’s a thing…
So much has been going on in my world. I have started slacking on studing too. Part of it is not knowing what to write on this blog. Maybe when I run out of ideas I should post a short story?
On the bright side, little Man is wanting to read with me and to me which is ubber cute. ❤
So I felt super bad for not pushing myself to study yesterday. I have many opportunities to study. I played games and chatted with people and just relaxed. I have been feeling rather down recently and knowing what I have to study for is kinda mind numbing if you hit it to hard.
So I took an unofficial day off…. Result being, I feel guilty, and I have 90+ Reviews waiting for me on Wanikani…. Oh well back to the grind. I just need to work on my pace and watch out for signs I am getting to worn out. I don’t mind taking a day but if I am not actively doing something for at lest one hour each day to prep for the test I don’t know that I will make it.
So today is make up day and get my sh*t straight day. I can do this. It is going to seem super overwhelming if I don’t ever take the first step in.
I also have to remember that not every mistake means I can’t do it. Only that I know I can because I know the difference. Now if I could only impart this wisdom onto my two year old with potty training.
So, let’s get real for a moment. I am not the best at studying. I am terrible, in fact if I had to place a bet on myself to study every night consistently at the same time or for the same amount of time each day I would fail soooo hardcore. I am also flighty about my interests I have to push myself over and over and over to regain interest in something. You know how long I have been trying to learn Japanese? Since I was a preteen. I am terrible I know.
Yeah!!! 16 year old me kicked ass. What! (Only girl in the photo…)
So to keep myself engaged into doing this and doing it right I am going to sign up for the test when the slots open up and pay the fee. I have already paid the money why not take it. I also have 11 months to study. I have been keeping up on my Kanji so I shouldn’t have a problem there but I worry about the grammar and vocab. I have got to think of some tips huh? Well know what I am looking up now! I will report back with anything I find that works for me!
So in getting ready for the test I know i will need to know quite a bit of kanji, vocabulary and grammar. All of this is expected. Because I am skipping the first level test I will need to add in loads more then I have been pushing on myself in the past. Which is kinda the whole point.
So in order to get ready for the test I have compiled all my textbooks and programs and will list a few of my always opens and some of my thoughts on each.
- Instant Immersion Japanese the Deluxe Edition Workbook.I picked this one up from Half priced books for 4 bucks. It isn’t super great about hitting the points I need to know about grammar but has been very good at giving my mind something to work on when I have some free time. It also gives me more confidence in my speaking skills as it uses romanji and I read the little stories in it to my husband and we figure out what it says together.
- Genki 1+Workbook. This seems to be a common one that came up all the time on several sites about learning grammar and reading practice. I have started on it but I am not one to push myself normally, so it has been hard on me. I have plans to finish this workbook by April and be on to Genki 2.
- Daily Journal. Picked up a journal from my local store and have started to use it to write down my vocab or thoughts on the day’s learning. Slowly putting more and more Japanese words in as I go.
- Mobile apps. There are soooo many of these I think I will have to do a post on it’s own!
- The dreaded kanji is something I feel like has a lot of new learners scared, but really for me, I enjoy kanji and I feel I have a better understanding of my studying when I know the Kanji that goes along with it!
Wanikani. Super big one I have read about that people have used very successfully. Slow to start as they use the SRS method, but once you get going it is scary to step away… That being said… I was using this on and off last year… I started again last night and here is what I got with all my reviews that awaited me.
However… shortly after
It took me quite a while to get there but I finished all my reviews on day one. The biggest suggestion was that you don’t do them all like that and just ease yourself in, but I don’t get a lot of quite time to myself to just relax and work. So one night there ya go! I got a 54% and I think that is amazing considering I haven’t touched it in almost a year. That means I retained somewhere in my brain 54% of the words and vocab and radicals that I had learned! That is amazing!
Wanikani also has a great E-textbook called Textfugu. I have a lifetime membership to it but… I never really got into it. However, as I am trying out new things I may go back and try it out again. Time will tell.
Listening practice: YOUTUBE!!!
I love watching youtube to get my fix of natural Japanese that doesn’t come from a cd. Here are a few of my picks for just listening to, some have captions but I tend not to listen as much and just read…
- Bai Ling Girl English Chika’s English Lessons: Okay okay okay, hold up. Learning Japanese… I know it says English Lessons but she teaches English and american culture to Japanese people. So listening to her speak Japanese is awesome! Using subjects we may already know we can hear some words we might want to talk to someone about. Plus, if you are going to be teaching English, she brings up some points you might need to keep track of when teaching in Japan.
- Kemushi Chan : This girl is full of spunk. I love watching her videos and have picked up more then one of the books she talks about. I aspire to have her level of Japanese!!! She is amazing in explaining things with such a bubbly personality. Cons: She doesn’t post very often now a days. She seems to have gotten quite busy with her life and that is okay! She has a library of videos to get you started!!!
- Gimmeaflakeman : Victor uses a lot of non common words that textbooks don’t seem to look at. He uses words from viral Japanese videos, news sites, and just his everyday encounters to show some more flavor to your vocab. I love watching this self proclaimed “King of the Morons”.
- JPCMDH : I love love love this channel, they put up videos of Japanese commercials. No subs here, and I love getting to guess what the ad is for before they show it!
Okay okay okay, it is like 3am here and I have to get up with the young one in like 4 hours! Good night! Good luck! And stick around for my next post!
Howdy Y’all and thanks for stubling into my blog. Currently I live in Austin,Tx and have just started studing for the JLPT N4 certification! I have never taken one of the tests before but I figured it could be fun to blog about my trip to N2 certified!!!